Friday, January 11, 2008

Examples of Random Academic Customer Service 2


I was sure that the final exam for the American Drama course was set for 3:00 in room 244. It was not one I was looking forward to. Not because it would be hard or I hadn’t studied but the professor was a self-centered, failed thespian out to prove he knew it all and we – nothing. He not only knew theater; he felt it deeply so his opinion was truth while any truth that differed from his understanding was opinion.

He had us draw sets and costumes for every play we read. And if one did not draw well or divine what he thought the set should look like, well, you didn’t do well. Not an inspiring or flexible man.

When I got to room 244 five minutes early and it was empty, I figured I may have gotten the room number screwed up or the exam was moved. I decided to go to the prof’s office and check for any directions to the new room. When I arrived, there was no note. So I went to the department office where Prof. James Sweeney, asst department chair checked the list and informed me the exam had been at 10:00 that morning.

After I let the wave of panic and nausea wash over me, I sat down and wondered aloud “what the %After I let the wave of panic and nausea wash over me, I sat down and wondered aloud “what the %After I let the wave of panic and nausea wash over me, I sat down and wondered aloud “what the %After I let the wave of panic and nausea wash over me, I sat down and wondered aloud “what the %$&* do I do now?” to an empty reception area.amp;* do I do now?” to an empty reception area.amp;* do I do now?” to an empty reception area. Dr. Sweeney had gone back into his office. As I sat and calculated what the negative effect on my grade would be, Dr. Sweeney came out of his office, told me to stay where I was and left the office. He returned in a few minutes carrying a manila folder.

“Come with me.” He led me to an empty office, handed me the folder and told me I had two hours to complete the exam. When I was done, bring it to him. “I told him I would proctor the exam so please don’t us anything but what’s in your head.”

Dr. Sweeney had called the drama professor and talked him into letting me take the test. Now that’s academic customer service.

Click here to read another example of academic customer service.

Do you have or know of an example of good customer service at your college or somewhere else? We are seeking examples of customer service so we can let other know of good people doing good things. Please send in examples so we can publish them in the blog so the person and you will be recognized and applauded.

Some of the examples will also be used in my new book The Power of Retention: Customer Service . If your contribution is used, I will send you a copy of the book.


AcademicMAPS has been providing customer service, retention and research solutions to colleges, universities and career colleges in the US, Canada, and Europe as well as to businesses that seek to work with them since 1999. Clients range from small rural schools to major urban universities and corporations. Its services range from campus customer service audits; workshops, training, presentations, institutional studies and surveys to research on customer service and retention. AcademicMAPS prides itself on its record of success for its clients and students who are aided through the firm’s services. www.GreatServiceMatters.com 413.219.6939 info@GreatServiceMatters.com

No comments: