Monday, July 20, 2009

A Service Award Winning Coffee Cup


While doing a series of workshops for a university, I stayed at the Northfield Inn in Northfield VT. The Inn is a wonderful bed and breakfast that covers customers with a service as soft and embracing as the down quilts on the beds. Aglaia who owns the Inn does all she can to make one feel part of a family that just happens to live at the Inn for a few days. Wonderful experience.
Okay, the cup. I had to rush through my breakfast. That morning a three course affair of fresh fruit, the Inn’s signature hot granola and a frittata. I had to get to the University to start a morning of workshops on customer service so I rejected another cup of coffee.
“Not enough time thanks. Got to run. Would love another cup but don’t have the time. “And I shot up stairs to get my materials for the presentations. When I came back downstairs and headed for the door, Betty who helps Aglaia in the mornings was standing there with a cup of coffee to go.
“No sense going without the coffee” was all she said. No ceremony. No flourish to show she was giving outstanding customer service. Just doing what was natural and correct. Looking out for her customer. She simply knew what to do to help me out the door with a smile, a cup of coffee and a desire to come back to the Inn.
This is one of the best examples of outstanding service I can think of. That’s why the cup should be replicated and handed out to those who have provided great service.
This is also why the action should be replicated. We should anticipate what students might want and make sure it is there for them. The anticipation should be built on what we hear from them. What we learn from them as we interact with them. After all, that’s what Betty did. She earned what I wanted and provided it. Not what she wanted to give me or what she thought I wanted. After all, if she gave me a cup of tea simply because she thinks I should want tea….No coffee cup trophy award.
So, if you know of someone who should get a coffee cup, please let me know and we will get it to him or her and let folks know of their great work. Just let me know who, why and we’ll take it from there. And we are thinking about rewarding the best service story with a weekend at the Inn.

BTW, when I met with the president of the University for an exit discussion, I mentioned that the school should have meetings at the Northfield Inn and have people just watch Aglaia and Betty to learn some great service first hand. Of course he already had known of the service there since he stayed there himself and became one of the family too. Might be a great idea for you and your school or business too.


IF THIS ARTICLE MAKES SENSE TO YOU, YOU WILL WANT TO OBTAIN A COPY OF THE BEST-SELLING NEW BOOK ON RETENTION AND ACADEMIC CUSTOMER SERVICE

AcademicMAPS is the leader in increasing student retention, enrollment and revenue through research training and academic customer service solutions for colleges, universities and career colleges in the US, Canada, and Europe as well as businesses that seek to work with them
We increase your success
Contact Us Today


“We had hoped we’d improve our retention by 3% but with the help of Dr. Raisman, we increased it by 5%.”Rachel Albert, Provost, University of Maine-Farmington

“Neal led a retreat that initiated customer service and retention as a real focus for us and gave us a clear plan. Then he followed up with presentations and workshops that kicked us all into high gear. We recommend with no reservations; just success.”
Susan Mesheau, Executive Director U First: Integrated Recruitment & Retention University of New Brunswick
“Thank you so much for the wonderful workshop at Lincoln Technical Institute. It served to re-center ideas in a great way. I perceived it to be a morale booster, breath of fresh air, and a burst of passion.” Shelly S, Lincoln Technical Institute


No comments: