Monday, September 13, 2010

Checking Out Your Campus Customer Service Culture


One thing we do when we audit a campus is see what the culture is like. It is one of the first things we do before a workshop or a presentation on academic customer service and hospitality. Is the current set of attitudes and how people treat one another impeding the development of a customer service culture on campus? It certainly did at one college we recently audited.

While on the campuses, I would act as if I were lost or confused (confused is something I can play well since I often feel it is a common state of consciousness for me) to see the reaction of employees as they passed me in the halls. The hoped for results would be that employees would stop and ask if they might help me.  The outcomes were not as positive as one might wish. Granted there were not as many people in the halls as might have been during more populated terms at B campus and L campus.  M campus was in full session.

At B campus, I entered six of the buildings and encountered at least one employee in every one. All but one woman in the Adams building either ignored me or looked at me and kept walking by.  Only the woman in Adams asked if I were in need of help.

At M campus, I was passed by five employees. One faculty member whose name I recall as George stopped as I was looking around as if lost and asked if he could help me. After he directed me to the admissions office and I was walking about the halls again, he saw me and asked if he could be of additional assistance.

At L campus, I was passed by six employees and finally assisted by a young man from the bookstore.

There were then 17 employees who did not provide me any service and three who did; one twice. This became a subject of the presentation I gave to the entire college.which I introduced with the story of Dean Schaar and Gordon Gee. That's the one about how to say hello to people and make them know you care. I then went on to show how to make sure that we all say hello to students and ask how they are as we pass them. 

This is unfortunately too common on too many campuses. People just do not know to greet one another and certainly not how to stop and ask someone if he or she is in need of some help.  You can assess this just by walking through the halls of your own school. Though I do not suggest doing this as a habit, a bad one, just smile at people without saying hello. See how many smile back or say hello. Of course you shouldn't count the ones who know who you are. That's cheating and we don't want that. Do we? Then, act as if you are confused or lost. See if anyone stops to help. Keep a count of those who just rush by versus those who stop to help to get your school's helpful culture batting average.

You may find that there may be a need for more specific small group training for employees in extending themselves and greeting students. The structure of the large group presentation limits the specific person-to-person training though at this college we did review the processes and manner to be employed. And we asked people to use it and supervisors to keep track of who did and did not say hello properly. Of course we asked employees to keep track of their supervisors too.

It'll be interesting to compare the older hello average to a new one if people actually do say hello to one another and proffer assistance. Bet it'll be higher than any batting average of a so-called baseball star. And he gets $millions...Forget that last point, You'll get millions of good feelings. They may not buy a Ferrari buy your Honda will feel like one after a day of smiling and being smiled at.




If this piece had value for you, you will want to get a copy of The Power of Retention by clicking here NOW 

IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SUBSCRIBED, SUBSCRIBE NOW AT NO FEE TO YOU. TELL OTHERS WHO CARE ABOUT ACADEMIC CUSTOMER SERVICE, RETENTION AND STUDENTS TO SUBSCRIBE TOO. 

1 comment:

James said...

I am looking forward to your visit at the University of Central Arkansas. As a new employ at the university, with a background in retail customer service, I am disappointed at the lack of customer service in my office. My co-workers seem to have a dismal view of the students. We also have an abundance of forms that seem to confuse the students and leave them feeling that their needs are not important. Our new President, Dr. Meadors is working hard to change the current atmosphere.